Monday 27 June 2011

Next book in my 100 book challenge is...

...The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Listed at number 87 on my 100 book challenge I actually found this one on my bookshelf. What a lucky find.

And in honour of my new book selection for the 100 book challenge I am dedicating a meme to it. Thursday Theme is hosted by readingbetweenpages and this week the theme is Male Person. So here is my little dedication.


Theme Thursdays


The Shadow of the Wind'Daniel, you mustn't tell anyone what you're about to see today,' my father warned. 'Not even your friend Tomás. No one.'
'Not even Mummy?'
My father sighed, hiding behind the sad smile that followed him like a shadow all through his life.
'Of course you can tell her,' he answered, heavyhearted. 'We keep no secrets from her. You can tell her everything.'
Shortly after the Civil War, an outbreak of cholera had taken my mother away. We buried her in Montjuic on my fourth birthday. The only thing I can recall is that it rained all day and all night, and that when I asked my father whether heaven was crying, he couldn't bring himself to reply.
Excerpt from The Shadow of the Wind, Carlos Ruiz Zafón

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for participating in this meme. You are actually on your 87th book? Wow, and it is barely mid way through the year..

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kavyen - No problem. I'm new to meme's (and blogging) but I'm loving it and a meme is a great way to find other blogs to follow. Unfortunately I'm not on my 87th book this year :) The Shadow of the Wind is listed at number 87 on my 100 book challenge but I'm not reading them in order. So it's actually only my 15th book out of the 100 all time classics I've challenged myself to read. How confusing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    How very sad! Beautiful prose, though . . .

    ReplyDelete