Thursday 24 November 2011

Affinity (Sarah Waters)

Title: Affinity
Author: Sarah Waters
Publisher: Virago Press
Publication Date: 2000
Pages: 352
Source: Book club borrowed
Genre: Mystery, Gothic
Goodreads | Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk


I picked Affinity up at my book club because my friend enjoys the author and recommended I give it a go. It didn't sound like the normal sort of book I like but I always think it's good to branch out now and then.

Set in the 1870s, Affinity tells the story of an upper class woman who begins visiting a women's prison for rehabilitation after a suicide attempt. While there she meets Selina, a spiritualist, and a unique relationship forms, leading her to risk everything.

This was one of the books where my feelings about it went up and down. At the beginning of the book I loved the Gothic feel of the novel, the descriptions of the prison and the mystery surrounding the characters. It had me intrigued. And then throughout the middle of the book there were parts that seemed to just drag on and on and many of the sections surrounding the main characters relationship with Selina just grated with me. And then the author would throw in another back story or tidbit and I'd be interested again. I liked it, I didn't like it, I liked it, I didn't like it. I couldn't make my mind up. I did think that the ending was really well done and helped make this whole book come together for me. But I'm still not sure if it was enough for me to really like this book.

So all in all I'm torn. I think this is where my standard reviewing thumbs up or thumbs down feature really falls down! For me it really was just middle of the road O.K. I guess I'll leave it at that then.





buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery